Friday 26 October 2007

Dukie and Theo

Dad home nice and early (Taking a "Poets" day) so we get a goodly walk, and in my case, another chance to escape in the Cemetery, when Dad is juggling 3 leads and a poo bag. I feel the flexi-lead handle thump onto the ground behind me. H and I have been pulling like mad anyway as we'd just seen a bunny dive for cover in one of the big shrubs (they're 10 feet+ diameter, so I guess they're more accurately "shrubberies" !). I'm off - racing for the bush and diving under it. Dad gives chase but is hampered by having to haul H and the unwilling Meggie along at ever increasing speed.

He sees me, then 8 foot of lead, then the handle, all disappear under the bush, and hears the handle clack-clack off a few trunks as I go by. Fearing that I'd easily become tangled inside the bush, he races round the bushes, only to see me emerge, unscathed, lead still in tow, behind, neatly traps the handle between a free ankle and a gravestone, he brings me to an invioluntary stop. Fun while it lasted though

In the Rec, we meet up with a magnificent, handsome young standard poodle called Dukie, and I am accused of being a "tart" (not sure what one of those is) when I roll around writhing on the ground under his nose, and bounce and run flirtatiously (whatever that is) all around him. He is out with his chum, a lovely shiny, beautifully groomed red setter called Theo. By comparison with these scrubbed, clean chaps, we are looking decidedly beige and Mum has been heard to utter the words "minging" and "shampoo" in the same sentences. This is a worrying development.

Of, course, on the way to the cemetery, we pass my Sister's house, Ellie Bezel, and as usual we see her though the net curtains. She's up on the back of a chair looking out of the bay windows, but sadly no humans are about, so we can only look in through the gate with our tails wagging tentatively, while she looks out a bit forlornly. It seems an age since our schedules co-incided - that's winter for you and all the humans grabbing dog walks in the short daylight, while they can

Have a great weekend

Deefs

No comments: