Friday 20 April 2007

What a difference a day makes

Look at that cute pic to the right of your screen. Does that look like a wicked, bad girl to you? What a difference a day makes. In a plot twist worthy of a Kubrick film, I have gone from poor sympathetic character to the villain of the peice! One day lovingly carried to the vet because I was really really ill, the next yelled at and scowled at! Where's the justice in that?

Dad came home from work and the two of us trotted down the garden to check on the progress of seedlings in the green house. Bounding into the greenhouse, we panicked a small bird, which shot upwards, banged off the glass and fell, stunned into the patch of beans. 1000's of years of breeding took over and one of those tragedies that happen so fast you can only watch in horror exploded into reality.

I shot forward and grabbed small brid, who screamed. Dad roared and lunged forward, scruffing me, lifting me 2 feet off the ground. I yelped (well, no-one's done that to me since I was the size of that same photo!) and dropped the bird. Dad saw straight away it was a robin, but it was too late. He could only hold it gently while it expired in the palm of his hand.

He was not happy with me. They are mad keen on this "gardening for wildlife" stuff and the local robins had been singing and prospecting for nest sites, and Mum and Dad both had hopes. Philosophical now though - it's what terriers do, he says. It was small, squeaking, unidentified and cornered in the greenhouse on the floor. Just a rat with a red breast and brown feathers. I'm not pushing this line of argument at the moment though!

Anyway, the nasty man has got us all back. We were fed a small scrumptious chunk of cat food each tonight, and as our molars crunched down on the juicy morsel and we swallowed, our brains all went "crunched down????" . Megan suspects we may have been wormed. It's an assault without consent! Referee!

Disgraced "Murderess"
Deefer

No comments: