Friday 24 November 2006

Only Minutes old


A thought occurred - you guys might like to see what a westie pup looks like only minutes old. No way of telling now whether this is me, or sis Beryl-the-Barrel, or brother Archie, but here is one of us nestling into the maternal flank, only minutes old. Eyes and ears are closed over, hair is white and very short, legs are too weak to take the weight of our little bodies, but we're remarkably good at squirming around, especially in the direction of mum's teats.
New-dad was there as midwife, while old Dad calmed the nerves of old-Mum with tea and sympathy. It went well. About an hour and a half all told, including a long pause when everyone relaxed and thought that two was our lot. Then suddenly Mum-Molly arched up from her "sleep", made a funny yowp! noise and pumped out a third (girl) pup
From there on for a few weeks it's a case of suckling like mad and inflating visibly before your eyes, getting cuter and cuter till at 7 weeks we look either like my main pic, or a smoother-coated version of same (I am told I am unusually fluffy and bear-like (Beryl's Mum says I am a westie-cross-goat!) but the vet-nurses today exclaimed as I got carried into their Reception foyer, "Ahhh loooooook", and raced round either side of the desk to try to be the first to grab me for a cuddle!
Deefs (still a bit sore from the jab)

No comments: