Wednesday 7 February 2007

Ice on the Pond

A hard frost overnight, so the morning is full of the sounds of Dad scaping ice off both cars, and then shuffling them on the drive, so that he could take the 2CV, and leave Mum the "proper" car. The garden is white with rime and like a winter wonderland. Mum is clutching a coffee and we all race off down the garden. She comes to the top of the steps and sees me nosing this strange hard crust on the big pond.

"It's Ice, Deef. Don't go onto it or you'll go through". OK thinks me, and scurry back up the steps, but then curosity gets the better of me and I just go and have another look. Mum describes it afterwards to Dad - "All I heard was this quiet pinging crack of ice being broken and suddenly Deefer came scurrying back up the garden with a wet paw and a very worried look. "I told you if you stood on it, you'd go through!" A good lesson learned. Haggis tells me that in past winters it has frozen solidly enough for him to walk across, especially when snow disguises the pond's location

Oh - and just in case anyone was getting over-confident about me having not poo'd indoors for a fortnight. You spoke too soon! Come see what I've done on the landing!. When Dad tells old-Dad, he exclaims that exactly the same has happened to Archie (my bro'). A fortnight - everyone thinking "we've turned a corner"... then Ooops! An accident on the landing.

Still a pup, what ever you say!

Deefer

No comments: