Sunday 1 July 2007

Scary bridge

Nice long walk this morning - what we call the "Blackcurrant fields" loop - all round south of the town's football and cricket grounds. There used to be blackcurrant fields here but they're all grubbed up and currently a clean field of wheat is there, green and immaculately weedless (so... probably not organic then?)

Only one problem with this route - we have to cross a 20 yard railway foot bridge which, for some reason, freaks me out. I am OK on the steps up to it (even though they are open concrete slab type) but once on the span I hang back to the full extent of the extendy lead (while Meg and the H trot across not a care in the world), then when it can no longer be avoided, I scoot across, legs bent, ears down, tail down, belly as close to the floor as a pup can get it while still walking. I whoosh across like this, racing to the full forward extent of the lead - the sooner I'm off that span and onto the steps down, the better.

Dad has no idea why I'm like this, as I've never had any kind of traumatic experience on it. Must just be the non-solid nature of it and the fact that I can see I'm up high because the flat metal strip mesh goes right to the walking-surface.

On the way back from the field we cross what everyone thinks is the longest railway footbridge in the UK. At about a quarter of a mile, it goes across both branches of the lines at Faversham junction - the line for Canterbury and the line for Whitsable. But that one doesn't faze me at all - probably because it's got sheet steel "walls" and I can't see out. I can race about on that one full of my normal confidence

There's no accounting for dogs
Deefer

No comments: